Frittenden has had several Rectories. The first on record was the ‘Old Red House’ recorded for posterity by John Preston Neale c1830. This watercolour was among several reproduced ‘for the Rector for the time being’ in 1842 at the behest of Edward Moore.
Moore found the Rectory in such a dilapidated state that he and his new wife commissioned a new building. This was on the same site as the old rectory and became Frittenden House.
When the Trustees of the Marriage Settlement of Edward Moore and Lady Harriet sold the Moore Estate in 1867, the Rectory went with the Estate. A new Rectory was built and was occupied by Moore’s successor, Thomas Hallward.
The current Rectory is Oak Leaves, situated in The Street, across the road from the Church and adjacent to the village shop. At one time the house was the home of the Pearson family whose carpenter’s yard was adjacent.
The information on this page has been kindly provided by the Frittenden Historical Society.